North Laurel Middle School
2017-2018 Course Syllabus
Ms. Ratliff/Health and P.E. Teacher
Office telephone: 606-862-4715
Dear parents and students:
Many exciting activities are planned for the nine weeks and we at North Laurel Middle hope it will be a wonderful year for everyone. Below you will find a variety of information regarding procedures and class activities for the upcoming grading period. Please read this information and keep it for future references.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to Email or call me. Email is the fastest way to get a response. My planning is 1st period. If I am not available, please leave a message with the office and I will gladly return your call. Thank you for allowing me the honor of having you in my class for nine weeks.
Description of class:
1. Students must change clothes for each class.
2. Appropriate attire includes: t-shirts, shorts, and tennis shoes. Sweat pants and sweat shirts are encouraged in colder weather.
3. Jewelry is discouraged to wear during gym class.
4. No gum is allowed during P.E. class.
Basis for Grades
2. Dressing out.
3. Behavior, conduct, sportsmanship, and teamwork.
1. Gym clothes should be brought to class.
2. 5 minutes are allotted at the beginning and end of class to change clothes.
3. Students do not shower after class.
1. No horseplay. Safety is the key!
2. Do not enter storage areas unless directed to do so by a teacher.
3. All equipment should be used properly.
4. Do not enter the locker room during class unless told to by the teacher.
Injuries, Illness, and Excuses
1. Report all classroom injuries to the teacher.
2. A note from a doctor is required to be excused from gym class.
3. If you feel sick, plan to dress and participate, but limit activity to meet your needs.
Fitness Test (Pre/Post)
Dodge Ball/Medic Ball/Dungeon Ball
Method of Grading Calculation:
Performance Based: 20%
Responsibility- Wear uniform every day
Effort – Participate in class, have a positive attitude
Self-Control- Make safe choices
Perseverance- Ask for help and ask questions
Exemplary Leadership- Follow all classroom and school rules even when no one is looking
Compassion- Help others when you can
Teamwork- Work WITH the teacher to achieve your personal best
If you choose to break a rule:
1st Offense: Name written down. This is a warning.
2nd Offense: Conference with teacher. Possible call home to discuss the issues we are having.
3rd Offense: Complete BMA or write up to the office to discuss discipline problems with principals.
Severe clause/Repeat offenses: Sent directly to the office with a referral and parents will be notified.
Rewards for Good Behavior:
TEACHER: I will be fair and consistent in administering the discipline plan for P.E. Class.
Teacher’s Signature: Ms. Ratliff Date: 01/04/16____
PARENT or GUARDIAN: My child and I have reviewed and approved the classroom discipline plan.
Parent’s or Guardian’s Signature: __________________________________________Date:_______________
STUDENT: I have read this classroom discipline plan and understand it and will honor all of what is written.
Student’s Signature: ___________________________________Date:_______________ Class Period: ______
NOTE: This syllabus must be signed (by you and your parent or guardian) and returned by 01/08/16. This will be your first grade for my class in the homework grading category. It will be scored as follows: 100% if turned in on or before 01/08/16 or 10 points off every day thereafter.