Name ________________________ Class_______ Date ______________
Atomic Structure WebQuest
Introduction Atoms are the basis of chemistry. They are the basis for everything in the Universe. You should start by remembering that matter is composed of atoms. If you want to do a little more thinking, start with particles of matter. Matter, the stuff around us, is used to create atoms. Atoms are used to create the elements. Elements are used to create molecules. It just goes on. Everything you see is built by using something else.
The Task You are to use the suggested websites to gather information and answer the questions or statements on the sheet.
Basic Atomic Structure: go to http://www.chem4kids.com/files/atom_structure.html
Subatomic Particles: go to for the following websites:
Go to: http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Atomic_Theory/The_Atom/Sub-Atomic_Particles
6. Draw and Label the Bohr Model for Helium on the website.
7. Nucleus: Facts:
Protons: Neutron: Electrons:
1. Charge: 1. Charge 1. Charge:
2. Facts: 2. Facts: 2. Facts:
Atom Basics: Go to: http://www.chemtutor.com/struct.htm and read the “And you thought you were strange” section to answer the following questions in the table.
8. The 3 subatomic particles are:
9. Location within the Atom
10. Electrical Charge
Go to: http://www.livescience.com/37206-atom-definition.html
11. The electron cloud has a radius ___________ times ____________ than the nucleus.
12. The number of protons in an atom defines what _____________ it is. For example, ____________atoms have six protons, ____________ atoms have one and ___________ atoms have eight. The number of protons in an atom is referred to as the ____________ _______________ of that element.
Go to: https://dlc.dcccd.edu/biology1-2/atoms-and-elements
13. What happens when the number of protons in an atom changes?
14. Does the same thing happen if the number of electrons change?
Go to the bottom of the page and practice BUILD AN ATOM.
15. Go to: http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/jams/science/matter/atoms.htm
then click the “test yourself” button.
Record your score here:___________
WHEN YOU FINISH, GO TO: http://www.ptable.com AND WRITE AS MANY WORDS AS YOU CAN MAKE UP USING THE ELEMENTS. Example: CAt (Carbon and Astatine)