December 4th, 2017
Home Multiplication Practice
Continuing this week, we would like each child to practice the facts for 10 minutes, each day, for homework. Students can practice the facts traditionally using flashcards, or you might want to take advantage of the multiplication websites that we have posted on our websites. We suggest using the site “Math is Fun” to practice weekly math facts. http://www.mathsisfun.com/timestable.html
Attached is a “Home Practice Times Four Drill” that you can time your child on, each night. We will begin working on our “7” facts this week. We suggest that you continue to give them a timed session of two-minutes. If they do well with this you can decrease the time, if you choose to do so. These “Home Practice Quizzes” will be sent home on Mondays, and will need to be returned on the following Monday morning.
Thank You for ALL that YOU do to further your child’s education!
Mrs. Baker & Mrs. Marcum
How Parents Can Help Their Child Memorize the Times Tables
1. Make sure there is understanding.
2. Explain why it is important.
3. Demonstrate what fast recall is.
4. Be interested in math yourself.
5. Find out what facts they already know.
6. Involve your child in the goal setting process.
7. Focus primarily on the facts they need to learn.
8. Use a chart to monitor progress.
9. Provide encouragement along the way.
10. Spend quality time together practicing.
11. Acknowledge their success.
12. And most importantly: Have fun!
The Importance of Memorizing the Times Tables