SLHS Guidance Department
FAFSA Workshop - November 26 at SLHS. Contact Kim Fields in the Guidance Department if you would like to schedule an appointment with Joplin Rice (KHEAA Representative) for a FAFSA appointment.
Class of 2019 - to receive Scholarship Updates, join REMIND! On your Iphone or Android go to rmd.at/g3adka and follow instructions. If you don't have a smartphone, get text notifications by texting the message @g3adka to the number 81010 (or 606-393-4976).
SCHOLARSHIP Deadlines, etc!!!
Don't wait until the due date to apply for a scholarship! Check into it to see if it is still available, has been updated, or if due dates have been changed. Apply early!!!
* WYMT-TV and UPIKE would like to honor outstanding seniors with the Mountain Student Achiever Award. Selection based on GPA, extracurricular activites and community service. Check senior bulletin board or see Mrs. Fields for an application.
* Jack Kent Cooke Foundation College Scholarship Program for high achieving student with financial need. Go to www.jkcf.org
* Bryan Scholarship for high achieving athletes interested in attending Davidson College in NC. Have coach go to http://www.davidson.edu/Bryan
* Ralph Gabbard Memorial Broadcast Scholarship for students interested in a communications career. Provide proof of financial need. See Guidance Bulletin Board or stop by guidance for application. Deadline to have application submitted to Mrs. Fields is September 11, 2018.
* Tony Turner Memorial Broadcast Scholarship for students interested in a communications career. Provide proof of financial need. See Guidance Bulletin Board or stop by guidance for application. Deadline to have application submitted to Mrs. Fields is September 11, 2018.
* WYMT-TV Mountain Classic Scholarship for students who have proven academic performance and financial need. See Guidance Bulletin Board or stop by guidance for application. Deadline to have application submitted to Mrs. Fields is September 11, 2018.
*Questbridge National College Match Program for full four-year scholarships. Apply online at www.questbridge.org
* Studentscholarships.org Scholarships with October - December deadline. https://d1wsaxfu7b8rcr.cloudfront.net/0bf4abe3-c3f7-4929-a1aa-1e685d0543c8/StudentScholarship.org%20October-December.pdf
* REMEMBER the FAFSA opens October 1st! Apply as soon as possible!!
* Wendy's High School Heisman Scholarship. $1,000 to $10,000. Online application at wendysheisman.com. Submit application by Oct. 2, 2017.
* U.S. Presidential Scholars Recognition Award. Student could win an expense paid trip to Washington D.C. and the opportunity to meet government officials. CTE students are encouraged to apply for this award! For an application, stop by guidance or check the senior bulletin board. Deadline to submit your application to guidance is Oct. 4.
* Work Ethics Seal Scholarship - $1,000. Seniors who complete the Work Ethics Seal Program are eligible to apply for the scholarship. Students are required to complete a Jr Achievement course, so stop by guidance to find out more benefits of the Work Ethics Seal.
* Levines Scholars Program for students interested in attending UNC Charlotte. http://levinescholars.uncc.edu/
* Horatio Alger Association Scholarship. $6,000 to $25,000. Apply online at scholars.horatioalger.org.
* Toptal STEM scholarships for Women. A scholarship program has been developed to award 12 scholarships to help young women pursue their technical career aspirations. Each scholarship winner will receive a stipend and a year of mentorship and guidance. Totptal.com will award 12 scholarships to aspiring female computer scientists, developers and software engineers. Every winner will receive $5,000 and a year of weekly one-on-one mentoring by a Toptal senior developer. For more information go to: https://www.toptal.com/scholarships.
* Union College has a Tuition Assistance Program for southeastern KY students who have GPA minimum of 3.0 and ACT minimum of 17. Complete the FAFSA. Estimated Family Contribtuin must be between $0 and $1,000.
* Prudential Spirit of Community Award. For student involved in volunteering. Could win $1,000, a trip to Washington D.C., and the opportunitiy to win $5,000. To apply, go to https://www.nassp.org/recognition/student-awards/prudential-spirit-of-community-awards?SSO=true Deadline is November 7, 2017.
* 2016 United States Senate Youth Program. You could win a $5, 000 college scholarship and a trip to Washington, DC. Stop by guidance to see about getting an application and taking the test. Completed applications and tests must be postmoarked by November 23.
* Jackson Energy Essay Contest Scholarship. $2,000. http://www.jacksonenergy.com/content/scholarship-programs Deadline November 25,
* ELKS National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarship for students pursuing a 4-year college degree. Applicants judged on scholarship, leadership, and financial need. http://www.elks.org/scholars/scholarships/mvs.cfm
* Kentucky Concrete Association Essay Scholarship - $2,000 scholarship. Stop by guidance or check guidance bulletin board for details. Student should mail application and essay with postmark no later than November 30, 2017.
* Seniors interested in applying for a nomination to a United States Service Academy should check the guidance bulletin board or see Mrs. Fields in guidance. Application deadline is November 15, 2016 for Senator Rand Paul's Nomination Application and November 30, 2016, for Congressman Hal Rogers' Nomination Application. There is a U.S. Service Academy Information Fair at London Community Center on September 27. Registration is at 6:30.
* University of Kentucky Robinson Scholarship - open to seniors who would be considered as first-generation college students (neither parent or guardian having a four year degree). The application is located at https://uky.academicworks.com. The deadline for submission is January 18, 2019.
* Western Kentucky University Scholarships- to be considered for academic merit and targeted awards, students must be admitted to WKU by Jan. 15, 2017.
* Centre College Scholarships - The Brown Fellows Program; Grissom Scholars Program; Lincoln Scholars Program - Each program provides full-tuition or full-cost funding, support for summer experiences and travel. Interested students should see Mrs. Fields in guidance as soon as possible. Nomination deadline is January 15. .
* KYTC Civil Engineering Scholarship for students seeking a Bachelor's Degree. Deadline is Feb. 1. Go to
*KYTC Engineering Technology Scholarship for students seeking an Associate's Degree. Deadline Feb. 1. Go to https://transportation.ky.gov/Education/Pages/Civil-Engineering-Technology-Scholarship.aspx
* National Propane Gas Foundation Scholarhip. Parent must work in that field. Deadline February 15. For more information and to apply go to www.npga.org/scholarship
* Stepping Stone Scholarship from the East Tennessee Foundation. www.easttennesseefoundation.org. $3,000 per year for up to four years. (Search under Scholarships Listed by Name) Submit application online. Application opens Nov. 1 and the Deadline is February 15, 2019.
* KYACAC "Achieve Your Dreams" Scholarship. One $500 scholarship is to be awarded for each of the four regions of Kentucky. Deadline is Feb. 17. Go to: http://www.kyacac.org/
* Spencerian College $2,000 Scholarship. See Mrs. Fields in guidance before Feb. 20
* Whitaker Bank/KHSAA Sweet 16 Scholarship. Deadline is February 28. Go to http://khsaa.org/020517-2018-whitaker-bankkhsaa-sweet-16-scholarship-applications-now-open/
* KHSAA- Scholarship for student athletes involved in agriculture. Link to scholarship https://khsaa.org/ge83-2018-agriculture-athlete-of-the-year-scholarship-application/ eadline for Scholarship Deadline Feb. 26th
* NIAAA Athlete Scholarship. Deadline February 28. Based on Athletic and Academic Achievements. Go to: http://www.niaaa.org/niaaa-awards/niaaa-student-athlete-scholarship/
* KY Farm Bureau Education Foundation Scholarship Program offers several scholarships. To access the application, stop by guidance or go to kyfb.com/scholarships. Mail the application, making sure it is postmarked by February 28.
* Somerset Community College deadline for scholarship applications is March 1.
* Miss SCC Pageant offers a full two-year tuition scholarship to SCC, a cash scholarship and a cash award. For female, senior students who are at least 17 years old. Go to: http://www.somerset.kctcs.edu/en/Student Life/Miss SCC.aspx March 1 deadline.
* If you have applied to WKU, check out their Scholars in Service scholarship opportunity at http://www.wku.edu/alive/scholars/index.php Deadline is March 1.
* UCCA Human Services Scholarship. $500. Check senior bulletin board for application. Deadline March 2.
* Check Senior Bulletin Board or ask guidance about UK's Freshman Summer Program. You can earn up to 6 college credit hours. Fee required. Deadline to apply March 7.
* Camelia Carol Jackson Overcomer Scholarship. Check senior bulletin board or see Mrs. Fields in guidance for application. Due to Mrs. Fields by March 16th.
* The Tolliver Annual Nursing Scholarship. For student interested in pursing nursing degree. Minimum of $1,000. Go to: http://www.kymedicalmalpractice.com/scholarship/ Deadline March 15.
* Morehead State University Diversity Opportunity Scholarship. Apply to MSU and submit completed Diversity Opportunity Scholarship Application post marked by the March 15 priority deadline.
* Camelia Jackson & Bill York Memorial Scholarships. $500 each. Check senior bulletin board or see Mrs.Fields for application. Deadline - March 16.
* KAPE Scholarships for KAPE members and their families. Deadline March 16. For more info and to access the application go to http://kentuckyteachers.org/scholarships/apply/
* First National Bank & Trust Scholarship. Deadline to submit to Mrs. Fields is March 16. For application, check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance.
* Cumberland Valley National Bank Scholarship. $500 Renewable Scholarship. Deadline to submit to Mrs. Fields is March 16. For application, check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance.
Joyce Parker Scholarship for Public Service. $500. For application, check bulletin board or stop by guidance. Deadline to submit to Mrs. Fields is March 16.
* London Women's Care Scholarship for senior interested in a healthcare field. $1,000. Check bulletin board or stop by guidance for application. Submit application by March 16.
* Pepsi Cola H.B. Tuggle Memorial Scholarship. Deadline to submit to Mrs. Fields is March 16. For application, check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance.
* The London rotary Club C.T. Massey Scholarship. $4,000. For application, check bulletin board or stop by guidance. Submit you completed application to Mrs. Fields by March 17, or you my mail in you application so that it is received by the scholarship committee by April 15.
* Commonwealth Credit Union. Four one-time $1,000 scholarships. Primary membership account required. Deadline Mar.17 Go to www.ccuky.org/scholarship/
* I AM UNITE $1500 Scholarship. For application, check senior bulletin board. Student should mail, email, or fax the application. Deadline March 16.
* The Bluegrass IndoAmerican Civic Society Scholarship. $1,000. Apply online at scholarship.biacs.org
* Laurel County Conservation District $2,500 one-year scholarship. Check senior bulletin board or come by guidance. Turn in to Mrs. Fields in guidance by March 24 or submit personally to Laurel County Conservation District by April 1.
* First State Financial/Mountain Valley Insurance Community Scholarship. $500. Check senior bulletin board or come by guidance. Submit completed application to Kim Fields in guidance no later than March 16 or deliver to bank before March 23.
* Lexington Clinic Foundation Scholarship for student interested in Allied Health. Mail in with postmark PRIOR to March 24. Go to: https://www.lexingtonclinic.com/foundation/lcf_education.html
* Saint Joseph London Scholarship. $1,000. Check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance for application. Submit application to Mrs. Fields in guidance no later than March 29.
* London/Laurel County D.A.R.E. Program Scholarship. $1000. Check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance. Turn in to Mrs. Fields by March 30.
* Charles G. Pearl Scholarship. Check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance to pick up application. Deadline March 30.
* Laurel County Homecoming, Inc. Scholarship. $500. Essay contest. Check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance for application. Mail to address on application. Deadline is March 31, 2017.
* Laurel Community Lions Club WE SERVE SCHOLARSHIP. $100. Check senior bulletin board or see Mrs. Fields for application. Due March 29.
* 'Let Us Never Forget' Dustin Napier Memorial Scholarship - $500 - Check senior bulletin board or see Mrs. Fields for application. Due March 30.
* 'Let Us Never Forget' T.J. Reilly Memorial Scholarship - $500 - Check senior bulletin board or see Mrs. Fields for application. Due March 30.
* Forcht Bank Scholarships. $10,000. Video required explaining how the scholarship would help the student and how they plan on serving their community after college graduation. For more information go to www.facebook.com/forchtbank. March 31 deadline.
* L&N Credit Union's Frank H. Moore Memorial Scholarship open to members and children of members. Check guidance bulletin board for application. Mail application...postmarked by March 31st.
* Kentucky Educational Development Corporation (KEDC) Scholarship. $2500. Go to: http://www.kedc.org/Instruction/LeadershipSupport Deadline is April 1.
* Kentucky Manufactured Housing Scholarship for student living in modular, manufactured, or mobile housing. $1,000. For application check senior bulletin board or come by guidance Mail in application with postmark date by April 1.
* Dr. Tae-joon Seo Memorial Scholarship $1,000 stipend for student interested in radiology tech. Check senior bulletin board or in the guidance office for application. Application deadline is April 1.
* Kentucky Federation of Republican Women $1,500 Scholarship. Check senior bulletin board or come by guidance. Mail your application with a postmark no later than April 1..
* Southeastern Kentucky Partnership Scholarship through Lindsey Wilson College - Deadline April 1.
* Walmart Dependent Scholarship. Go to http://programs.applyists.com/walmartdependent/ Deadline April 1, 2017.
* Swiss Descendant Tuition Grant - $5,000. For student of Swiss heritage. Check bulletin board or stop by guidance for application. Mail in application no later than April 6.
* Tom Handy Leadership Scholarship. $1,000. Check senior bulletin board or see Mrs. Fields for application. Mail in application. Deadline April 9.
* Jeff Caudill Optimist Club Scholarship. $6,000. Check senior bulletin board or stop by guidance for application. Submit application to Mrs. Fields in guidance no later than April 13.
* The Laurel County Republican Women's Club Scholarship. $500. For application, check bulletin board or stop by guidance. Deadline to submit to Mrs. Fields is April 14.
The London Rotary Club C.T. Massey Scholarship. $4,000. For application, check bulletin board or stop by guidance. Submit you completed application to Mrs. Fields by March 17, or you my mail in you application so that it is received by the scholarship committee by April 15.
* Lendedu spring scholarship $1,000. Information/Application: https://lendedu.com/blog/scholarship-application/ Deadline: April 15th.
* Emma Lou Cissell Memorial Scholarship. $1,000. For student interested in majoring in Agriculture, Family & Consumer Science or related field. Check bulletin board or stop by guidance for application. Deadline is April 13.
* The Woman's Club of London Scholarship for female senior. Check bulletin board or get application in guidance office. Deadline April 13.
* Hometown Bank Community Service Award. $1,000. Accepting 5 applicants per school. A short video and signed release form are required so the submission can be uploaded to Facebook. Deadline is April 21. Stop by guidance for application.
* 13th Region Directors of Pupil Personnel Scholarship. $500 Perfect Attendance Scholarship. See guidance bulletin board or Mrs. Fields for application. Submit to Mrs. Fields in guidance no later than April 25.
* Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1050 Scholarship. $500. Check bulletin board or get application in guidance office. Deadline to submit to Mrs. Fields in guidance is April 25, 2017.
* Stratton-Tipton Special Needs Scholarship. Check bulletin board or stop by guidance for the application. Submission Deadline is April 30.
* Kentucky Association of Pupil Transportation (KAPT) Education Scholarship Award Program. $1,000 Scholarship. Complete application online http://www.thekapt.com/. Deadline is May 1. Requires parent/guardian to be actively employed in the public school pupil transportation field.
* Sullivan University $2,000 Scholarship. SLHS has only 3 of these scholarships to offer, so apply soon before the opportunity goes to someone else. See Mrs. Fields in guidance before May 1, 2017.
* Aspiring Nurse Scholarship. $1,000 Scholarship. Go to http://www.nursingschoolsalmanac.com/ and click on the banner on the right side of the page.
* Aspiring Business Professional" Scholarship. This is a $1,000 scholarship that will be awarded to students that are interested in pursuing a business degree at any accredited post-secondary school or college. Interested students can visit this link http://www.onlinembareport.com/ and find the scholarship located at the right side of the page and click on it. Deadline for the scholarship is June 1, 2016.
* Work Ready KY Scholarship application is now available! For more information about this brand new scholarship, go to: https://www.kheaa.com/website/kheaa/work_ready?main=1 The deadline to apply is June 15, 2017.
* Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship. $1,000 scholarship. http://www.fashion-schools.org/aspiring-fashion-professional-scholarship-program
* Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship. $1,000 scholarship. http://www.animationcareerreview.com/
* Nursing Schools Almanac has just launched its second annual Aspiring Nurse Scholarship. $1,000 scholarship to an aspiring nurse. Deadline - June 30 www.nursingschoolsalmanac.com
* EGC Women in Law Scholarship. $1500. This scholarship is vailable to any female high school senior nationwide. Deadline is June 30, 2017. Go to http://www.egclegal.com/salt-lake-city-utah-car-accidents-lawyer/#scholarship-application
* UEW Healthcare EEOICPA Scholarship. $1,000 scholarship based on merit and need> Leadershiop experience taken in to account. Online application at https://www.uewhealth.com/eeoicpa-reca/#scholarship-application Deadline July 31.
* Balanced Man Scholarship for male student who attends the University of Louisville. Apply online at sigepuofl.org/bms. Deadline July 31.
* The Lawyers at Groth & Associates offer a $1,000.00 scholarship. The deadline for application submissions is July 31, 2017. Apply at http://www.grothlaw.com/scholarship/
For scholarship, award, and deadline information for specific colleges/universities, check the guidance bulletin board or the institutions's website.
* Looking for Student Loans Without a Cosigner? Read This. The goal is to help students and families avoid cosigning student debt. See the guide here:
* Monthly Essay Scholarship Contest. http://www.varsitytutors.com/college-scholarship
* Scholarship Searches: http://scholarshipfly.com/ http://www.college-scholarships.com
http://www.guaranteed-scholarships.com http://www.affordablecolleges.com/resources/scholarships WeirdScholarships.net
* LendEDU's Guide to College Scholarships - https://lendedu.com/blog/scholarships
* University Tutor holds a monthly $1,000 college scholarship contest where students write a short essay in response to a monthly prompt. The submitted essays are reviewed by University Tutor staff at the end of the month and one winner is chosen to receive the $1,000 college scholarship. Interested students can enter the contest here: http://www.universitytutor.com/scholarship-contest
* Art & Design Scholarship Competition and other scholarships offered at Mount St. Joseph University, Cincinnati, Ohio. www.msj.edu/art-scholarship
* Recovery Village Health Care Scholarship. 1,000 award to students pursuing a health-related degree program who have been personally affected by addiction. https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/scholarships/
* OppU Achievers Scholarship at https://www.opploans.com/scholarship/. Award Amount: $2,500. Eligibility: High school seniors, college students, graduate students; cumulative GPA of at least 3.0/4.0; U.S. citizen or resident. Deadlines: December 31, March 31, June 30, September 30. To Apply: Students submit a short response to the question "What makes you an achiever?"
Also remember to visit the Guidance Department's main front page, as there there are links regarding Colleges and Scholarships & Financial Aid Information.
On those pages you will find specific tips, suggestions, and how tos for many of the things you need as you prepare for college and begin filling out applications.
SAT REVIEW SITE: https://www.mometrix.com/academy/sat-test/